Santa Fe Institute Workshop 11-14 October 2015
Implementing Cybertools for Synthesizing Knowledge of Past Environments Organized by Timothy Kohler and Keith Kintigh
Travel Please make travel arrangements to arrive in Albuquerque any time Sunday October 11 and leaving from Albuquerque after 5PM on Wednesday October 14. It would be good to arrive in time for the Sunday evening reception at the Hotel Santa Fe. If we can coordinate arrivals and departures—especially for people arriving from the same place—it will lower costs. One can take the Sandia Shuttle for individual arrivals, but we’ll also rent two or three cars.
Lodging Lodging for the workshop, arranged through SFI, will be at the Hotel Santa Fe—a very nice and well-located hotel. It is easy walking distance to any number of restaurants (and there is one in the hotel).
Meeting We will meet at the Santa Fe Institute (on Hyde Park Road, northeast of downtown Santa Fe) on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday morning we will meet at the Estancia Primera Culpin Clubhouse, also off Hyde Park Road.
Meals There will be a SFI-sponsored reception on Sunday evening (with appretizers and drinks). SFI will provide a continental breakfast, lunch in the patio plus breaks, on Monday and Tuesday. SFI is organizing a group dinner on Tuesday evening. Sunday dinner (if any) and Monday dinner are on your own. Wednesday breakfast and lunch TBD.
Weather In mid-Octobert the average high is in the upper 60s and average low in the upper 30s. with something like a 20% chance of rain at some time during any given day. The elevation is high (7200’) and you can expect it to be bright and sunny a lot. You will want some sun screen. SFI has some nice hiking trails that you may want to take advantage of at lunch time. You will definitely want some sunscreen and reasonable walking shoes.
- Sunday Oct 11 – Travel
- Evening – SFI Reception at Hotel Santa Fe
- Monday Oct 12 – SFI
- Morning – 8-12 Meet
- Afternoon – 1-4 Meet
- Late Afternoon ca 4PM – Adjourn to Plaza/Museums
- Evening—On your Own
- Tuesday Oct 13 – SFI
- Morning –8-12 Meet
- Afternoon – 1-4 Meet re DataONE Connections
- Evening – SFI-arranged Group Dinner
- Wednesday – Estancia Primera Culpin Clubhouse
- Morning – 8-11 Meet Finalize Task Organization & Assignments
- Afternoon—Field Trip
- Depart – Albuquerque Airport
Well take a field trip to Pecos Pueblo on Wednesday afternoon.
- A review and critique of our progress to date (by October 2015 we will be exactly halfway through the planning grant period);
- a plan for a brief article on our progress to date, which might focus either on the project itself, the science and methods becoming available through the new tools, or simply articulating a vision;
- articulate key requirements (e.g., whom we want to serve and with what kind of functionality) for the planned SKOPE implementation; and
- a concrete plan and task assignments plan for the implementation proposal
R Kyle Bocinsky (gmail) <firstname.lastname@example.org>; WSU (postdoc)
Adam Brin <email@example.com>; ASU
Laura Ellyson <firstname.lastname@example.org>, WSU (grad student)
Keith Kintigh <email@example.com>, ASU
Ann Kinzig <Ann.Kinzig@asu.edu>; ASU
Timothy Kohler <firstname.lastname@example.org>; WSU
Bertram Ludaescher (gmail) <email@example.com>; UIUC
Timothy McPhillips <firstname.lastname@example.org>; UIUCbr>
Sarah Oas <Sarah.Oas@asu.edu>; ASU (grad student)
Johnathan Rush <email@example.com>; UIUC/NCSA
Carla Van West <firstname.lastname@example.org>; SRI Foundation, Albuquerque